Fall yarn sale, Nov 19–26
- 20% off yarn orders placed online, with gratitude for your business and friendship
- Sale begins on Sunday, November 19th at 12:01am (just after midnight on Saturday) and ends on Sunday, November 26th at 11:59pm
- (Includes in-stock yarns ordered online only)
November holiday closures
We will be closed in November for Veterans’ Day (Fri 11/10) and Thanksgiving (Thu–Fri 11/23–24).
Julia loom and drawloom extension now available
The Julia, our newest addition to the Glimåkra family of looms, is now live in our store. A sturdy, low-profile loom constructed of Swedish pine, the Julia is perfect for beginner or experienced weavers. It offers many of the advantages of a larger loom in a smaller footprint. You can also use your Julia as a drawloom by adding an extension and drawloom attachment to this versatile loom.
New books: Scandinavian fiber craft, rag rugs
We are happy to offer two new titles for your reading pleasure and inspiration.
- Nordic Hands: 25 Fiber Craft Projects by Anita Osterhaug contains a breadth of knitting, felting, and weaving projects highlighting Scandinavian culture. She has collected projects by many respected designers including our own Becky Ashenden and Lisa Hill. We think this book would make a great holiday gift. The projects and photography are top notch.
- Trasryor & Andra Roliga Mattor (Rag rugs & other fun rugs) by Kerstin Ankert is a fabulous book brought to us by Monica Hallén. It details many techniques and patterns for rag rug weaving. We’ll be welcoming Monica back to Vävstuga’s teaching lineup again next year; look for our 2024 class schedule in January.
2024 class schedule will be out in January
Keep an eye on our upcoming newsletters for a more precise release date. There will be a great selection of classes, from Basics to Rep Rally to Rag Rugs. Stay tuned for dates and details.
Seeking workers for Yarn-in-a-Jar
We are seeking detail-oriented individuals with dexterity to help with our Yarn-in-a-Jar project. The work entails creating pirnettes of yarn for each color of a product line. Flexible hours and days. Touch base with Dave at 413-625-8241 for more details.
Barnfest 2023 a grand success
Fabric of Life held their annual BarnFest on October 14th at our 80 Bassett Road property. It was our most successful event to date. We welcomed over 300 individuals and hosted an eclectic offering of workshops, demos, and music, while providing dinner for over 200 people. Thanks to all who attended! We look forward to seeing you all in 2024.
Just for fun
- The Nettle Dress — full-length feature film. “Allan Brown makes a dress by hand just from the fibre of foraged stinging nettles over 7 years. A modern day fairytale and hymn to the healing power of nature and slow craft.”
- The Linen Harvest — short BBC newsreel from 1951 focuses on flax and linen production in the UK, where the linen industry flourished at the time.
- Be Linen — beautiful 16-minute film shows current-day flax production in France.
- Linen spinning contest in Sweden