Vävstuga Scholarship Fund
Helping you attend classes to carry on the tradition of weaving
This Fund makes it possible for those who could not otherwise afford it to receive high quality weaving instruction. In this day of high-tech wizardry, traditional weavers are becoming an endangered species. Our program keeps craftsmanship alive and well in America. At this time Scholarships are only available for our Vävstuga Basics classes. If you are interested in attending a Basics class at Vävstuga Swedish Weaving & Folk Arts, but cannot afford it, the Vävstuga Scholarship Fund may just help by paying for you. If you meet the criteria, you are welcome to apply.
The Fund is sheltered by the Mary Lyon Foundation, a not-for-profit corporation in Shelburne Falls MA, and is dedicated to the furthering of weaving education. Its Trustees are: Penny Boardman (ME), Beverly Bowman (MA), Lisa Green (CT), Barbara Hurley (CT), and Elaine Palmer (MA). It is made possible by donations made in Susie Robbins’ memory, as well as the generosity of Vävstuga alumni.
- The scholarship will be for the course tuition less the required course deposit. No scholarship shall exceed $750.
- Scholarships will be awarded to people who the trustees believe will benefit from the program based upon existing skills and skill needs.
- Preference will be given to persons enrolling in week-long courses.
- There will be a presumption that a person with a family income in excess of $50,000 per annum is not "in need" of a scholarship.
- Only one scholarship will be given to an individual during any 2-year period.
- Two references shall be required for each applicant.
- Scholarships shall be awarded on a nondiscriminatory basis: there shall be no restrictions or limitations based upon race, gender, employment status, or relationships.
- Each recipient will be required, within one month of the conclusion of the course taken, to write to the organization and describe his or her experience, including a statement of the quality and usefulness of the course.
The committee next meets in mid-December 2012. At that time they will consider applications for the calendar year of 2013. Scholarship awards are not retroactive.
How to Apply
To be considered for a Vävstuga Scholarship, please submit the following:
- A completed application form
- A letter detailing your need for a scholarship
How to Donate
We would love to accept your tax-deductible donation to the Vävstuga Scholarship Fund! Please make checks payable to the Mary Lyon Foundation, include "Vävstuga Scholarship Fund" in the memo field, and send by snailmail.
Another way to contribute to the Scholarship Fund: our Bookstore now includes a new section of books labeled "Proceeds from the sale of this book are donated to the Vävstuga Scholarship Fund"! Check them out for some surprises.