Registration now open: summer course at Sätergläntan
We’ve sorted out a few more of the details, and we’re now ready to accept registrations for our special trip to Sweden this summer. Join us for a week-long class in Daldräll (Swedish overshot) at Becky’s alma mater from July 31 to August 6, 2023. Register now to reserve your spot.
To learn more or to register, see our class page: Daldräll at Sätergläntan IN SWEDEN.
Applications now open: Väv Immersion
We’re now accepting applications for the 2023 session of Väv Immersion, which runs from April 24 to June 17. This 8-week residential immersive weaving class is a life-changing experience. See the Väv Immersion page for lots of info including the full brochure, scholarship opportunities, and application form.
New Warps-to-Go blanket
Becky designed this twill warp inspired by our new rich blanket wool from Garnhuset in Sweden. This yarn fulls up beautifully to make a luxuriously thick and soft cuddly blanket. No need to worry about the math, simply choose one of our 15 colorways, or invent your own. Check out our enticing lineup of new colorways.
Basics blanket updates
While updating our Vävstuga Basics blanket colorways for the new Blanket wool that replaced our Tuna wool, Becky got a little carried away and created some wonderful new colorways as well. You’ll find lots of choices for our online Basics Video Class — and of course there’s always the option to invent your own colorway. See our full selection of Basics blanket colorways.
New books: bandweaving and knitting
- Vestlandsbånd — folkloric patterned bands from the Norwegian region of Vestland
- Bunadband i Telemark — woven patterned bands of the intricate Telemark folk costumes of Norway
- Estonian Knitting 3: Mittens — mittens in endless colorways and patterns, both simple and complex
Tuna Yarn-in-a-Jar recall
Our entire team has been busy creating the Yarn-in-a-Jar for our new Blanket wool. We’ve got a good supply of these now, and the first ones will go to those of you who need to replace your existing jars of Tuna wool.
Please follow our instructions to return your Tuna Yarn-in-a-Jar to us and receive a replacement 6/2 Blanket wool Yarn-in-a-Jar. This exchange is a limited-time offer through June 1, 2023.
Business Manager opening
We’re looking for someone to join our small but dynamic staff to manage our office. Hours for this position are flexible, 28–40 hours per week. We’d like someone with business and organizational skills, who is self-motivated, and who has an interest in and/or experience with weaving. See our full job description for more info, or to pass this opportunity along to your friends.
Julia video now on Vimeo
The instructional DVD that Becky created years ago for Glimåkra has now found a home among our Vimeo offerings. If you’re a subscriber to our Vävstuga Video Classes, this content is now included in your subscription. In this video Becky guides you through setting up your loom and weaving a complete project on the Julia, the little red loom from Glimåkra. Many of these techniques will also be helpful to beginning weavers on other looms, particularly counterbalance styles. Available now on Vimeo.
Just for fun
- Test your monitor’s color calibration — can ensure you’re seeing our yarn colors accurately and vividly.
- Chinese cotton in 5 minutes — spinning, making skeins, washing, drying, setting up the loom, weaving the cloth. Don’t blink, or you’ll miss the curious cat and the roosters.
- Japanese nail weaving — women create intricate Japanese brocades, employing their fingers specially manicured to act as combs.
- Mapuche weavers aim to create world’s longest loom weaving